“SILENCE! I must have silence whilst I create!”
“Quadrophenia. Max volume, please.”
Ask a bunch of authors what they like for background noise while they are writing, you will get an array of responses. The listening preferences of writers is as disparate as the tales they tell. I have a very familiar playlist that I usually set to play when writing. Composed of many favorite songs, it is not a distraction while I’m actually writing, but is a pleasant one, when I pause for whatever reason I need to. (My next blog post may be about the compelling reasons I often have to pause while I’m writing, like, for instance, GeoGuessr isn’t going to play itself.)
For my latest book, Time Lies (a time travel romance), I took a page from some other authors I know. NOT literally! That would be plagiarism! I created a playlist on YouTube. I had not done this with previous books, but certain tunes did tend to pop into my mind while I was writing this one. Most notably, perhaps, Time (Clock of the Heart), by Culture Club because, well, the lyric “Time won’t give me time,” fits not only the story, but the scarcity of time I had to write this book as well. So it is that song with which I started my Time Lies Playlist.
- Culture Club – Time (Clock Of The Heart)
- Bob Dylan – Tangled up in Blue
- Rise Against – Savior, Ghost Note Symphonies
- REO Speedwagon – Time For Me To Fly
- Cyndi Lauper – Time After Time
- Bob Marley – Waiting In Vain
- Pink Floyd – Time
- Billie Holiday – As Time Goes By
- Cake- Comfort Eagle (This one may seem out of place, but there is one line in the song that is so completely relevant to Time Lies – after you read the book, you’ll be able to guess 🙂 )
- Rocky Horror – Time Warp
- Coldplay – Clocks
- Dirty Dancing – Time of my Life, Final Dance
- Roberta Flack – The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
- Al Stewart – Time Passages
- The Moody Blues -Nights in White Satin
- The Beatles – In My Life
- Sade – Paradise
- Diana Ross & The Supremes – Someday We’ll Be Together
- Spandau Ballet – True
- Hootie & the Blowfish – Time
- Jim Croce – Time in a bottle
- Van Morrison – Into the Mystic
- Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers – The Waiting
- a-ha – Take On Me
- John Lennon – Stand By Me
- Simply Red – Holding Back the Years
- Talking Heads – Once in a Lifetime
- Todd Rundgren – Parallel Lines
- Aerosmith – Dream On
- Simon and Garfunkel – Scarborough Fair
- The Zombies – Time of the Season
- Simple Minds – Don’t You Forget About Me
- The Rolling Stones – Time Is On My Side (Ending on a hopeful note!)
To be completely honest, it’s not really too challenging to come up with a Time/Romance playlist.
You can listen to the playlist here.
Let me know what I missed in the comments.
As long as you stopped by, why not sign up for my newsletter?